Wednesday, September 2, 2009

National Road Museum 3



I spotted this original poster hanging on the wall and asked our tour guide what a "square drink" was . He did not know so I have looked it up and can only find one reference listed on google.
This is from Travel and Adventure in the Territory of Alaska , published 1869

A good substantial repast is known as a “square” meal all over this coast, and the term is applied to many other things. A “square” drink is a “deep, deep draught,” and a good “square fight” is an encounter or “muss” where the opponents were in earnest. Some of these terms are common to the “Western” States and outlying “territories,” but can not be regarded as full-blooded Americanisms. They attract just as much notice from “Eastern” men travelling in California as they do from Europeans



This is a wooden bicycle that was the rage at one time. I like biking but not enough to jump on something like this , if for no other reason than I doubt it would hold up very long with a full figured (old fat guy) like me .


This is another bike that was ridden on the National Road and that is all I have to say about that.



This was our tour guide Don McKendry who was tremendous--very informative and entertaining. Don is one of several local volunteers w2ho work at the museum and mke it a wonderful place.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a really cool museum! I'll stop in next time I'm that way.

    ReplyDelete