Thursday, July 30, 2009

Peru Circus Museum 3



The center of activity today was taking down the big top tent where several shows had been held recently during Peru Circus Days. It was quite the operation and I learned a lot in the 2 hours I was there.
This particular tent was made in Italy 28 years ago and is stored at museum and only used for special occasions.



This is a guy taking down the big flags above the tent.




I was watching the tent dismanteling with John Fugate the director of the place and also the head ring master for many circuses for many many years. He gave me the ,"Ladies and gentlemen and children of all ages...." thing and I was stoked.
The guy taking down the flags hollared at John and then started to walk across one of the pipes from one side to the other, about half way across he acts like he is falling and grabs the pipe before he hits the tent.
John swears under his breath and tell me the guy is Dave Decker a local guy who is one of the best high wire walkers in the world. He regulary performs with the Wallendas and other acts. He is helping out with the tent today.

As it turns out John and I know some of the same people in the circus world. In another life time in Toledo I did a little photography work for a circus guy names Tom Hendricks who introduced me to Gunter -Gebels several times as well as Albert Rix, the only guy to train polar bears to be a circus act. These guys would come to Toledo about every other year with the Shrine Circus of some other outfit and Tom would get me in behind the scenes for pics and meetings. It was funny almost every performer from clowns to the big stars would remember your name and talk like we were good friends. Actually John knows Tom very well.
The circus world is a small enclosed world and I am so glad I got a glimpse of it and today just added to it all.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Just happened to come across this today, seemed fitting. Its from Mark Twain-
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness".
    Just thought you might be in a position to agree with or dismiss the notion.
    I'll hang up and listen to your answer off the air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very familiar with t5hat quote and agree completely with MT--especially after travel at 12 mph which really provides an opportunity to think about prejudice, bigotry .................

    ReplyDelete